June 3, 2010

Laurel Retreat...Finally!

My Laurels (16-18 year old girls in my youth group), have been begging me to do a "retreat". Not being sure what a "retreat" actually consists of, it took me too long to finally pull one off. And by me, I actually mean myself and two of my favorite people, Alisa Pierce and Marili Potts.

The overnighter started with dinner at El Novillero,a must-if you claim to be from Sacramento. After we headed to LeRivage (thank you Uncle John), where we had two beautiful adjoining rooms. The girls enjoyed the balcony overlooking the Sacramento River, soaking in the hot tub (above) and lounging by the fire pits until the evening. Then we gathered around and shared with each other our "favorite things"- each girl brought 13 of any single item that she wished to share with everyone else.

The finale of the night was made possible by my amazing adviser, Alisa. She had reinvented the old idea of the "temple time capsule". We spent hours with the girls helping them do everything from picking their wedding colors to writing letters to their future spouses. We reminded them of the amazing men they are worthy of, and renewed their commitment to remain virtuous. The capsules were brimming with both fun and meaningful memorabilia by the night's end. Now they are literally canned shut-not to be revisited until the year of each girl's engagement!

We laughed, we cried and it is my sincere hope that we created a lasting memory.

4 comments:

  1. How awesome, Amy! That will be fun for them to open up the capsules later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are THE best leader, EVER. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one of those and laughed a lot when I finally got to open it. By the time I actually found Nick peach and green as wedding colors didn't sound like such a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me be a part of something so amazing. You are an AWESOME young women leader, I am amazed by you everytime we are together!

    ReplyDelete